Man shot in tube station

“We can confirm that just after 10 am (0900 GMT) armed officers entered Stockwell Tube station,” a police spokesman said. “A man was challenged by officers and subsequently shot… He was pronounced dead at the scene.”

Sky News television reported earlier that the shot man was “a suspected suicide bomber”, a day after an apparent failed attempt to carry out a new wave of bombings on three Underground trains and a double-decker bus.

Stockwell is one stop south of Oval station, one of three Underground stops that were, together with a double-decker bus, the scenes of apparent would-be suicide attacks on Thursday.

An AFP reporter at the scene said the busy street that runs past Stockwell station was sealed off, with traffic diverted through sidestreets.

Witnesses quoted by the BBC and Sky News said the man who was shot appeared to have been of south Asian origin, and that five shots were fired — by one account, at close range by one of the police officers.

Thursday’s failed attacks took place two weeks to the day after suicide bombers — three of them Britons of Pakistani origin — attacked three Underground trains and a double-decker bus, killing 56 and injuring some 700.

Eyewitness Mark Whitby, speaking to the BBC reported the man was shot five times at close range after he had jumped on a train.

“An Asian guy ran on to the train,” Whitby said. “As he ran, he was hotly pursued by what I knew to be three plainclothes police officers.”

“One of the police officers was holding a black automatic pistol in his left hand. They held it down to him and unloaded five shots into him. I saw it,” he said.

He reported the man did not seem to be carrying a weapon or wearing a rucksack like those used in the July 7 suicide bombings or, reportedly, in Thursday’s failed attacks.